May 6, 2012

Who said sleeping wasn’t an experience?




My new favourite thing is sleeper cars on trains. They bring together my two greatest loves – sleeping and trains. As I am writing this I am on my way in a second class air-conditioned sleeper carriage train from Surat Thani in southern Thailand to the capital Bangkok (Approx 698B = $28NZD). About 12 hours total on a train which, really is nothing considering I was on a train for three days straight this one time (from Vancouver to Toronto). But it wasn’t this awesome. You probably think I’m weird but I don’t care. As soon as I stepped into the carriage I was trying to figure out how the beds came together and pretty much everyone sitting near me – mostly Thais - were looking at a wide-eyed me like I hadn’t been on a train before. 

The top bunk, where I’m sleeping folds down from the roof and contains the bedding, sheets and pillows for both beds. The bottom bunk is made by converting the two seats, which face each other, into a bed – sort of like a fold out couch. You pay a bit less for being on the top bunk, I think mostly because of the perceived inconvenience. You don’t get to see anything out the window either, but it doesn’t really matter because its night time (duh). I guess that’s also the downside of the night train is that you don’t see any of the countryside which is the whole reason I take trains whenever I can. The night train however, does take care of one night’s (amazing) accommodation and you get to your destination quite early so you pretty much have that entire day to do stuff. I’m scheduled to get in about 5.30am or something which is not ideal, but its ok, I guess.

I’ll also be taking a train probably from Bangkok to Chiang Mai in northern Thailand too – I can’t wait!

Both beds are single and the mattress is thin, but still quite soft. The top bunk also has two leather straps which stop you from rolling out (I don’t really want to test them out, though) and there’s a tiny ladder which you climb up. Its easily long enough for a 5”5 or so me to stretch out fully, but I’ve put my bags at the end of the bed so I can get to them easily – and mitigates the whole theft thing. You can also sit cross-legged and do things like write and change without hitting your head – although the roof does slope downward because that’s how the carriage roof is shaped.

I just took photos of one of the guys putting the beds across from me together. Totally not weird.

Setting up the beds on the sleeper train from Surat Thani to Bangkok.


The only really annoying thing is that there are no plugs in which I can charge my things – including my iPod which I used during the five hour mini-van journey from Phuket to Surat Thani (450B = $18NZD). There was a lot of waiting around today. I was meant to leave Phuket about 7.30 in the morning but the minivan didn’t show up till about 8ish (I was really tired and not feeling too hot. We’d been out that night to Bangla Rd, the main strip in Phuket, to celebrate my birthday, see.) We got to Surat Thani bus transfer point for everyone else who was heading to either Koh Pha-nang for the full moon party or to Koh Samui. I had to wait to take another minivan – which turned out to be the same driver who took us from Phuket – for about 40 minutes to get to the train station (600B = $24NZD) where I waited for about 4 hours for my train. I thought the train station would have a plug somewhere where I could charge things, but it was not to be. So I sat, feeling a bit sick and eating some snacks I bought the night before which I didn’t feel like eating that morning.   
Turns out the wait was worth it though. At least until this point – we’ll see how the sleeping bit goes.

Twelve hours later and we get to Bangkok about 7am, kind of still tired and cold from the air con. The sleeping turned out alright, but I kept getting woken up during the night which must have been people selling food as they came through the carriages at each stop. Seriously you guys? It must be like, 2 in the morning. No one wants your steamed buns. 

                  Here's a video of the beds being set up (not on the train I was on, but same same).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More