April 23, 2012

No turning back

After all has been said and done, the time has finally arrived. Weeks of meeting old friends, vaccinations and planning are over and the adventure starts, well, tomorrow.

Today is my last full day in New Zealand until I get back in December for a wedding. Or possibly until I run out of money. Or get bored. Whichever comes first. All I have left to do is pack proper which to be honest won't take very long. I spent most of Saturday doing an inventory of the things I had and things I needed and realised I have an abundance of large winter jackets which I won't need where I'm going.

I've printed out all my flight and accommodation details and even directions to my hostel (I hope) written in Thai for the taxi driver (please don't rip me off, Mr taxi driver) and its also all on this free app I downloaded called Tripit which keeps all your itineraries in one place, too. Its super fancy. The hard copies are just a back up.

Excitement has been a slow growing thing in this camp, but in the past day or so the enormity of this next part of my life has kinda hit me. From experience (during my travels through North America) the everyday living comes first and the philosophical, big picture "what is life about?" stuff comes later. By that I mean the reflection on what this trip (I'm trying to stay away from the word journey) means for the rest of my life comes later. Fun first. Now THAT'S a good motto. Remember that one, kids.

Now, I'm normally a one-day-at-a-time kinda guy so people are quite perplexed when they ask me how excited I am about my trip and they seem more excited than I am about leaving. ("Yeah, I suppose I am [excited about leaving]. But it probably won't hit me till a bit closer to the time.")

On a semi-related note, I was listening to some songs on my iPod at the weekend which I haven't listened to for a while and there's a song by an under-the-radar and 15-second-of-fame Kiwi band Eye TV (remember them?) I forgot I had. The chorus to one of their songs (I think one of their singles) is kind of fitting and goes like this (sing it with me, now - ah 1, ah, 2, ah 1, 2, 3):

Gotta stop thinking ahead
And start living instead
Lately I've always been
One day ahead of myself

Anyway, here's the video for that song. I've got to get packing, but remember - fun first. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More