April 25, 2012

Welcome to Thailand

I arrive in Phuket under the cover of darkness. My immediate surroundings masked by the night. It's warm. 29 degrees, according to the captain. Muggy,too. I step out of the arrivals area and I'm immediately approached by people offering me a taxi to where I need to go. This was the part I feared the most - fresh off the plane and prime for the ripping off. I get rushed off into a taxi, but God knows whether the driver is taking me where I need to go. Its quite a long trip from the airport, about 45 minutes, mostly along straight highways. Patches of nothing much but road, my driver and the taxi unnerve me a little, but soon we make it back to civilisation. We pass temples and people balanced sometimes precariously on mopeds going the same speed as us. You can tell they've done this before. We reach the city limits of pa tong beach and a sign tells us to slow down as we wind our way through the streets. It seems fairly built up from what I can see in the dark and from out the window. There's a lot more people now. More foreigners. We must be close. Everything still open at 10.30 at night - markets, bars (discotheques) with loud music. Not really ideal after a long flight, but promising for the days ahead. It is only Tuesday after all.

1 comments:

Ooh im excited for you!! Keep blogging please!

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More